Re: [doc] Any help appreciated....

Stephen Strelczak wrote:

Electrics.

Just need to be in the same place as your car and my wiring diagram.

            Courtesy Light system doesn't work on doors, and both interior lights.

Ditto

            Seat belt buzzer and key in ignition buzzer not working.

Are you sure you want it to? Is it plugged in? Mine didn't work, and I plugged it in. It annoyed me in precisely 11.43 seconds so I un-plugged it.

            Central locking sometimes opens both doors, other times only drivers door, passenger door sometimes locks itself.

Need to strengthen the module first. You should NOT be using it!!!

            Mirrors work fine, in all directions, but switch can be a little nervy.

Spray with Servisol10.

            Doors open light doesn't work

Related to interior lights and marker lights not working.

            Seatbelts not on light doesn't work

There's a seatbelt light?

            Headlights light, (green one) very dim.

Same here. Get a new bulb.

            Dashboard illuminating light currently quite dim, even when turned to full brightness

Welcome to the world of the DeLorean's dashboard.

            Engine bay light not working

Need contact switch, do NOT try using the old one.

            Rear lights seem to be very dim at present.

See current discussion on DML. They are dim by nature.

            Front lights dim, and dip in power when the car isn't revving above 1500

Get new alternator from John Hervey www.specialtauto.com Clean headlights and make sure they're aligned. Knowing how Dave gets his MOTs done, they probably haven't been aligned for years.

            Glove compartment   light not working

Fixed mine at the w/e. Quite easy.

            Floor carpets shouldn't be black, with grey interior, but grey. Need to source correct grey carpet for floor, and foot pads, side pads too.

Have you got floor mats? All cars have grey carpets, just lighter or darker shades of grey. My car came with black floor mats.

            Would like to replace all the vinyl in the car, everywhere, with original grey vinyl or as close as possible replacement.

Sugget modern replacement PVC like I have on my knee-pads and binncle. Interior trim will almost certainly take the work on but expect the job to hit you in the pocket and take a while.

            Graphics around the centre console controls need replacing, as they are currently a little faded.

Buy new surround from Houston/Wingray.

           Headliners sagging near door windows.

Recover them. Dave has the material

            Plastic surround for right hand door lock controls and mirror controls currently cracked slightly, needs replacement.

Superglue!

            Need original cigarette lighter.

Houston/Wingray or Halfords for non-original but a fraction of the cost.

            Need to replace driver RHD seatbelt, as it does not recoil at present.

Scrappie.

            Drivers window motor very noisy, and the window can waggle back and forth when window not in closed position, window rattles in door when down.

Welcome to the world of DeLorean windows. Just be thankful it doesn't fall out the runners like mine. Suggest speaking to Dave Woodyard though he'll probably hate me for this:-)

            Vents underneath window don't currently emit virtually any air when in demist mode, perhaps not connected due to rhd conversion.

Not meant to!!! Demist is for the windscreen!!!

            Whole heating/ airconditioning needs an overhaul, as it lacks power. Seen Martins in action, so know mine is running at about ¼ of expected level.

Heeeeey. All right-handers have this problem. Ask Chrispy.

Exterior

            Whole body needs to be rebrushed , and polished

Get to it then

            Fascias need repainting.

Pay someone a fortune to do it. Get annoyed a the job. Try someone else. Discover a month later the paints cracking. Shrug shoulders and spend £40 in Halfords, learn how to paint. Or just move directly to the last option.

            Front fascia needs to have eye brows removed.

Hairdryer, strips of stainless, loctite 406, couple of G-clamps and random bits of wood.

            Front lights very dull at present, glass looks dirty on the inside on outside pair.

Take out, remove bulb, clean and dry thoroughly.

            Wheels need to be sand blasted, and repainted silver.

www.wheelrefurbishing.co.uk - everyone seems mightily impressed with them. They've done about 6 sets of D wheels now, and they do look superb.

            Need new plastic wheel centres and logos

PJ Grady has them with ickle stainless letters. Why need new? What about a can of black spray paint?

            Front air dam needs realigning slightly.

Get to it then!

            Right hand catch on engine cover needs replacing.

Yes, Um. Sorry about that. New ones available from the US (or Dave?)

            Engine

            Need to get micro switch on throttle working

Full or Idle? I suspect full. Bit fiddly. Try squirt of Servisol10; might be lucky.

            Need to replace all stickers

$200 from Don Steger for Stainless ones. I thought price a bit steep and have more important things to do right now. I only need one anyway.

            Need to tune engine and check that everything is running as efficiently as it can for the standard 130HP block.

Bloke who did Rich's seemed very good.

           If you see the car in the flesh, like most people, you'll think it looks pretty damn fine, but I'm getting picky now, and am looking for perfection. What would it cost to have all the above done by a restoration company, Wingray, a DOC member with the time(yeh I know J ) or any other means. In the search for perfection, I am looking for as many ideas as possible. Cheapest ideas win the most marks at present.

LEARN HOW TO DO MOST OF THIS YOURSELF!!! That's the cheapest!

Martin