Re: firing order / distributor

On 23-06-2002 14:43, delorean6806 wrote:

> I am in the process of changing my spark plug leads
> but need some help...
>
> Can someone give me the firing order and also describe
> how to identify the cylinder numbers ??
>
> Yes you probably guessed it I took off all the old leads
> and did not note how to put them back !!
>
> Also are there any tips on how to make it easier to
> change the plugs as the job is a complete nightmare !!

Easier is a big word, less difficult would be better...
I replaced my leads, cap and rotor a while back, so I have
some experience.
What I did was put the leads on the cap, put the cap in place
and THEN put all the leads on the plugs.

The distributer is a pain to reach, but if you take off the
airbox and unscrew the two allen head next to the airmetering
unit you can lift the unit up little over an inch and get it off.

There's a diagram showing the cylinder numbers on page C:02:07
of your workshop manual, but you have to take in account that
it is reversed in our application!

#1 is the cylinder directly behind the passenger (driver on a RHD)
or relay/fuse compartment then counting toward the rear of the car.
#4 is directly behind the driver (passenger on RHD) (behind the ECU)
again counting towards the rear of the car.

The outlets on the distributor cap are numbered,
so that should be easy to figure out.

Some people say the best time to swap leads is when you have to service
your waterpump. Since I've done it the hard way I have to agree; it
WOULD be aLOT easier with the intake manifold stuff off.
On <http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/waterpumpDMC.html>, about
halfway down the page you can see how accessible the Distributor
is with everything off...

Good luck,

JAN van de Wouw
Thinking Different... Using a Mac...