Re: [doc] Hand-Brake

Paul,

I found some interesting info that may help...

For those of you who care to know, I posted some questions earlier, but no
one answered them. Since then I have figured out the answer for myself.
This isn't mentioned in any of the manuals, so Wayne, if you are reading
this take notes for your new manuals project.

Is there some sort of adjustment
that I haven't noticed to loosen the emergency brake pads so that they
don't
touch the rotor?

Yes. When I put on my new parking brake pads, some of them didn't even have enough room to slip in between the rotor and the caliper. On the front edge of the assembly there is a large adjustment screw, but at first glance it doesn't look like an adjustment. It is the large screw that holds the two halves together at the front. The slot where you stick a screwdriver to tighten/loosen it is filled in with a cotter pin to stop it from loosening. So to make this adjustment you will need to remove this cotter pin.

Walt Tampa, FL

AND

Walt - Sorry ... I assumed that several people would chime in with
all kinds of good advice. That word "assume" can get us in trouble
sometimes. In addition to your discovery of how the parking brake
works, you may want to keep an eye on the little brass spring that is
used to keep the pads retracted. It looks like a little wide-spread
fork. I have seen many cracked and completely broken. When this
happens, the pad rides on the rotor until it's gone, and then the e-
brake caliper begins to wear on the rotor (personal experience). The
spring is common to Jaguar ... part number 9750.

Toby Peterson VIN 2248
Winged1

Cheers,

Dan
Ex-Vin#5641 (But the project is still alive!)