From: G Wells [mailto:gwells@xxxx]
Sent: 19 December 2001 15:10
To: doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [doc] Brakes

Paul
I have always wondered whether my brakes were getting the full amount of
servo assistance. I asked for opinions on the DML list but got no
concrete replies. I removed the servo, checked for leaks, (none),
checked for any apparent vacuum leaks elsewhere, (none), reassembled and
no difference. There is obviously some servo assistance, but not as much
as one might expect. This does not worry me unduly as I like to have
some feel in the braking, but I suspect it is not as it should be. The
only possiblity might be that I know the master cylinder on my car is
not original and it may be that the replacement has a very slightly
larger bore than the original design which would mean a greater force
required for equivalent braking which could make the servo appear to
not be working adequately.
To check the vacuum for leaks you will need a vacuum guage.

Graham
Norwich