FW: [DML] Futurethink: JZD's very own words.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff [mailto:Gr8old1@xxxx]
Sent: 01 December 2001 18:15
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [DML] Futurethink: JZD's very own words.

Ok, my current status as an enthusiast has practically overtaken my
day to day thought process. So imagine finding this gem:

I was digging out my x-mas tree just now (yes it's fake. Happy
Holidays everyone) and as i turn around in my basement, i see a box
of old magazines. Most of them were old Muscle and Fitness,
Photgraphy magazines as well as some Hot Rod mags. but lo-and-behold,
Car and Driver. Immediately i scanned to the print date. July 1980.
This is the 25th anniversary issue. So i started scanning through to
see if there were any ads or anything for our beloved cars as a pre-
sell for the new model year. Nothing. But as i scanned through there
was an article about what industry honchos think will happen to the
auto industry in the year 2000. I didn't think anything of it at
first so i skipped it and continued searching for ads. Then i
thought "Wait a minute, i gotta see." There it was on page 113,
staring at me like a great speaker of the people, a picture of John
Delorean.

Underneath the searing eyes of a man of determination, passion, and a
dream, are his words of the future of the automobile.

John Z. De Lorean
Chairman of the Board
De Lorean Motor Company

" The American automobile in the year 2000 will not differ
signifcantly from the models now on the drawing boards.
Vehicles will be more aerodynamically shaped, more "European" in look
and package efficiency, far more fuel-efficient, safer, and more
competitive with the overseas models, which will have attained about
half the U.S. market.
Customers will have demanded--and Detroit will have provided--higher-
quality, longer life vehicles made of stainless steel and composites.
The American family--the war now safely behind them--will be reaching
towards a new era of creative prosperity. "Average" families will
have three cars, identified as the "work car," the "fun car," and the
van, now sleeker, lower, and more fuel-efficient than either the
station wagon or the recreational vehicle. The van will not only be
used to transport a family to a second home, but also around the
country for outdoor vacations, easily and inexpensively converting to
a camping, outdoors vehicle. The "fun car" will either be a sports
car or replica.
Detroit will still be talking about mass-producing the electric car,
but enough will be on the roads to satisfy Washington, which will
continue to regulate the industry with the confidence of having been
right on CAFE and safety. The government will be on the verge of
selecting an efficient alternative fuel, and Detroit will be
pondering how the forthcoming announcement will affect their
planning. They conclude that it will not affect them for another ten
years."

--In 1955, Mr. De Lorean was the director of advanced engineering at
the Packard Motor Car Company.

Seems he was on the verge of coining the term "mini-van" himself. I
also thought how interesting it was that he forsees the regular use
of stainless steel and composite materials. His words about
aerodynamics seems to be about right on. I'm taking this magazine
and sealing it in a frame.

Thoughts?

Jeff Chabotte
Norwich, CT