OT: Off-Topic Messages

Members,

The DOC E-Group was primarily set up to give the club members an extra point
of contact, allow convienient exchange of information and promote some
community spirit amongst the club. I hope you agree that it is a useful
resource to owners and enthusiasts and that all messages, whatever their
subject, are posted with respect to the receivers. As all subscribers are
paid-up members of the DOC, we all have a right to use this resource as we
see fit.

However, I'd like to remind everyone that the shared interest of the
subscribers is the De Lorean automobile and that messages not relating to
the man, company, club or car may not be wanted by all receipients. It is
not my intention to censor the group in anyway, nor would I want any member
to question or feel they have to validate their message before sending, but
I do ask all senders to consider that their posts, however well-intended,
may not be gratefully received. Free internet connections are not yet
available to all, and with the internet being abused as it is, many users
put much effort into protecting against spam and unsolicited emails. This
can create a fine line between friendly broadcasts and unwanted downloads.

Therefore, in an attempt to maintain group harmony, I request that the
following guidelines are followed:

- Any message *not* related to De Lorean has a subject line starting "OT:" .
"OT" stands for "Off Topic". This is a customary prefix used on Internet
newsgroups, which allows readers to skip, and/or automatically delete,
messages that are not related to the group subject if they wish. There are
various forms of the "OT" marker ("O/T", "Off Topic:", etc), but I ask you
to use one specifically, "OT:". This means users only need to set up one
filter if they wish and it is also the shortest to type.
- Instead of posting lengthy off-topic messages, consider posting a URL to
the message source. This will be quicker to download and then users have a
choice about receiving the material (I do accept that not everyone will be
able to do this).
- Don't use the group to post a message to just a few people, unless the
contents are of interest to all. By all means send messages to an unknown
quantity (eg. "any members in Devon?"), but please do not carry out
conversations (eg. "Did you go and see Cathy in the end John?" "No I didn't
Fred, she went out with Dave" "aaaw, bummer mate") unless you are
expecting/willing-for other members to jump in and take part. I hope we're
all for banter - just make sure it *is* open.

Right, I'm starting to feel like a teacher lecturing the class now, so I'll
stop. Responses welcome! Enjoy the group.

Tris
----
Moderator (doing my job :) )