Re: [doc] New window switches

Not to have a go at Martin, either (HONESTLY!), but...

There is no longer any OEM version that is an exact match for the original.
If there was, don't doubt for an instant that we would not be getting it as
it would be FAR cheaper than re-manufacturing the switch from scratch, which
was what we had to do. Add to the tooling costs the rather substantially
sized minimum order of switches required (we figure we have now about a
10-year supply) - believe me that we would have rather source a switch from
anywhere else in the world and import it.

The replacement narrow switch is from some older Renault, and it has become
difficult to source in the past year or so. For a brief period, I was having
some success buying them from a Renault dealer here in Costa Rica and then
transporting them back to Houston on my monthly trips, but even that dried
up around last Christmas.

I'm a little resentful that Martin thinks that $50 is too much for an exact
reproduction switch, when the previous ones were $75, particularly in light
of the aforementioned facts. I do understand that economics is a factor for
many of the younger DeLorean owners, and particularly any owner outside the
US has to to deal with exorbitant shipping and whatever taxes/duties may be
applied.

If you want to put an indicator stalk off a Mini that "almost" matches, or
any other "almost", "kinda" or "sorta" part on their car, all I can say is
to each his own. But remember that while we are business to make a living,
we are also one a very few companies that are actively supporting the car
that YOU love. Support us and the others, and it will be better for the
marque in the long run.

James Espey
DeLorean Motor Company
Houston, Texas