From: David E (Classic&Sportscar) [mailto:David.E@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 18 November 2004 19:02
To: 'secretary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: Classic & Sports Car Club Awards

Hi Chris
Hope you had a good show at the NEC - the stand seemed to be busy every
time
I went passed, and when I dropped off the invite to the Classic & Sports
Car
Club Awards presentation. Yesterday Binnie Pearman phoned me about the
awards, because there seemed to some confusion about how the club fared
- so
I explained that the De Lorean Owners Club received honourable mentions
in
two categories (runner-up effectively), and said that I would send you
part
of the presentation that Simon Taylor based his speech on.

Feel free to use as much or as little of the enclosed and attribute it
as
quotes from myself or Simon in anything that you may want to include
about
the awards on the website or in the magazine - Simon is rather better
known
than me because he's a regular commentator on motor sport on the
television,
a former ITV F1 pundit, an ex-editor of Autosport and former chairman of
Haymarket Publishing...

If you do intend to mention anything, I've taken the liberty of
including
Classic & Sports Car's logo which you might want to include as well.

As you can see, the DLOC was one of the strongest contenders in two
categories:

Best Club Website
(fewer than 2500 members)
Honourable mention DeLorean Owners' Club
Winner Armstrong-Siddeley Owners' Club

'This year there were more entries for the website category than for the
best club magazine - maybe indicative of a general trend. Since we've
received the nominations, however, we've decided to adjust the
categories -
because it seems a little unfair to judge a club of, say, 300 members
against one with more than 4000. So the cutoff point for the two
sections is
now 2500 members, and there are likely to be three categories next year.
Even so, that still left us with a fantastic range of sites, most which
were
of a high standard, loading quickly and easy to navigate around.

'But two clearly stood out from rest, from which it was particularly
hard to
pick a winner. Highly commended, and just edged out, the DeLorean
Owners'
Club site (at deloreans.co.uk) has lots of useful gen, including
detailed
tips on how to import from the US, plus an excellent gallery of members
with
their cars - and we understand that it's maintained by someone who's
still
at school.

'Yet it's difficult to imagine a more informative site than the winner,
which includes comprehensive background on the marque and its founders,
while the club and the benefits of being a member are just one of the
sub-sections. There's a gallery featuring virtually all of the firm's
models, plus proposals for others, that you scroll through just by
clicking
on the photo. It loads quickly, with a neat group of buttons to choose
from
- there's even the Egyptian history of its Sphinx mascot to delve into.
The
winner is the Armstrong-Siddeley Owners' Club, at www.siddeley.com'

Most Improved Club Magazine
Hon mentions Parliamo, by the Fiat Motor Club and De Lorean News, the De
Lorean Owners Club
Winner The Isetta Gazette

'All of our nominated titles had obviously come on in leaps and bounds
over
the past few years, in the case of Parliamo going from A5 to glossy A4
and,
even more dramatically for our runner-up, De Lorean News, from folded
photocopied sheets to saddle-stitched glossy - the design has been
thoroughly revamped again over the past year by editor Andy Withers and
is
now much easier to read, with excellent regulars such as Our Cars,
technical
help and restoration stories.

'The DeLoreans again narrowly missed out to the winner, though. It has
been
revamped over the past few years into a busy A5 title with everything
that
you'd expect to find in a club mag - contact points, events, Q&As,
technical
tips, a gallery and the issue of replicas. Since the new editor Steve
Hurn
has taken over, production costs are down and membership numbers are
increasing. The most improved magazine for 2004 is The Isetta Gazette.'

I hope this is useful and congratulations for doing so well - please
don't
hesitate to call if you need any more informations.

All the best
David Evans
Classic & Sports Car
020 8267 8524