[doc] Re: New SORN rip-off./1st registration fee

[doc] Re: New SORN rip-off./1st registration fee

I read about that in the Daily Mail the other week, just another one
of Gordon "I wont raise taxes" Brown's 60 odd stealth taxes since
Labour came to power (ooh, dont even get me started on this one....)

Another one some of you may not be aware of is the New Car First
Registration Fee, something which has been introduced since car
dealerships took up the AFRL (Automated First Registration and
Licencing) system from 1998.  This basically involves the dealers
having the tax discs (yes, I know this sounds dodgy but it is strictly
monitored) and registering the cars themselves.  Once the car arrives
in the UK, DVLA let you select a number plate from one of your
allocation and then we send out the registration forms to the customer
to check and sign and send back with their insurance.  Then we
register the car and give the customer their tax disc.  In the old
days, it was queue up at the local DVLA office with cheque, V55's and
Insurances and they did everything there and couriered all the
paperwork to Swansea at the end of the day.

And the Government/DVLA put a £38 charge (was £25 up to 31.12.03) to
cover the cost of registering that car.  A car that they dont
register, us the dealers do.  All they do is print the V5 once the
registration is confirmed on AFRL.

You do the sums - 2.3million brand new cars registered a year at £38
per time..... nice litter earner Mr Brown!

Claire
Waters Renault, Letchworth GC
DOC171

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk