Re: [doc] Cough, Cough, Splutter - Very Long!

Re: [doc] Cough, Cough, Splutter - Very Long!

To Richard,

Do basics first. Fill tank with fuel to brim.
If chugging/ rough running stops then you prob have a fuel pickup pipe problem. (Duff hose, collapsing, pin hole etc).
If this doesn't cure it, check you get between 9v-11v at the ignition coil. Anything less then you'll get symptoms like a mis-fire.
Use a timing light on each spark plug HT lead to check for even firing. Slight intermittent misfire is usualy the lead or the distributor cap.
Check earth cables are sound and secure, battery is OK, correct rating, alternator output is OK etc.
If you changed water pump recently, make sure the cooling system is bled correctly. Any air locks near emission sensors will throw the engine running out. Prob best to install an self-bleeding system.
Check you get 12v between the pins of the grey plug to the CPR with the engine running and that the fequency valve is buzzing. If either of these isn't true then you have the incorrect relay type in module 12.

Without looking at the car it's difficult to diagnose.
Good luck anyway.

Nick.

Richard <dickyh11@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
All,

I've already spoken to Martin about this but I figured I should throw it
open to 'the fountain of knowledge' for other opinions

On my way back from 60 mile round trip, strange things started to happen
to the engine. Suddenly I had no power, I pressed the accelerator, and
nothing.

I thought perhaps the accelerator cable had broke, so I dipped the
clutch and tickled the throttle, resulting a suitable rise in revs,
pressing the accelerator harder seemed to do nothing (but I'd eliminated
the cable as the fault), so I trundled on a little further, gradually
fading away all the time. Eventually after gentle coaxing the car began
to pick up again, until after about 800yds things seemed to return to
normal. Shrugged shoulders, and decided to take it up the dual carriage
way (the first so far) Foot down, up the slip road, blatting along quite
nicely then everything just died off again - literally as though the
accelerator cable had broke, this time things did not pick up...

I gradually stuttered my way into a lay-by to see what was wrong, pulled
up and the engine stalled. Poked around a bit, started the engine -
seemed OK - although it was hunting quite badly (down to 500 then up to
1500 then down) Pulled off, foot down - everything fine again. About a
mile down the road, exactly the same again. So I dropped the clutch,
turned off the engine, waited 5sec (as I was coasting) started the
engine, lifted the clutch, foot down and everything was fine for about
half a mile, then it died off again.

This went on all the way home - engine died, switched off, started up,
drive for a while, died off. The only thing being the interval between
restarts got less and less until we literally coasted onto the drive.

Later that evening I leaned off the mixture which cured the hunting, and
the engine seemed much smoother. So I set off to test it out, pulled off
the drive, 100yrds up the hill the car was kangarooing badly, vroom,
pher, vroom, pher, pher, vroom. So back to the drive. The engine stalled
as I dropped the clutch waiting for traffic, and wouldn't start again. I
had to use the starter to get on the drive, then it fired up after
cranking for quite some time. Idled and revved on the drive just fine.

This morning, cold engine, replaced rpm relay with a known good one
(just in case). Started up no problem, idles no problem, apply a little
throttle....sput, sput, cough, cough, and slowly picks up the revs. Foot
off throttle - idles fine, apply a little throttle and it chugs once
more.
After about five minutes idling engine is very warm but not hot, revs up
just fine again. Holding at about 2000rpm, about every 30 sec, the
engine speed fades off just a little, maybe 50-100 rpm, then comes
back....Haven't tried to drive it yet - is there any point? I've not
exactly 'fixed' anything.

Where should I aim my spanner first?!!

Rich H
DOC 365 VIN 1274 (has got lazy after 10 yrs and is trying it's best to
stay on the drive)

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk