From: Martin Gutkowski [mailto:martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: 19 May 2004 12:36
To: doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [doc] Vin5789 - Help, I Need Advice On New Steering Rack, Etc

Hi Chris

Please let me apologise in advance - I did try to be tactful but
obviously failed! Please forgive my last post. Actually the rack you
helped me out with was needed as a result of having put *my* perfectly
good rack from my project car on "Flopsy", and needed the rack from that
car to go in mine.

I know very little about steering racks. That said, the results of one
of out later racks was seen by someone who previously had a rack rebuilt
by your friend - without any prompting, he commented that it "looks a
lot nicer".

Yes, this was all prior to DMUK, but when we started DMUK, we went to a
different company for a good reason - much of which is convenience, some
of which is quality of the results, a lot has to do with the referrals
we got from other well respected classic restoration places - a referral
that would probably carry more weight with you too than simply a "friend
of a friend".

Once again, I apologise for any offense and please nobody think that
Chris' friend's work is poor or not reliable. What I wrote was opinion only.

I would be interested in getting hold of that useless rack - perhaps
we'll have more luck?

Now, about those brake discs....... :-)

Best Wishes

Martin

chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> When I have had racks rebuilt it was a favour to keep cars on the road,
> I'm not doing this to make money or earn any kind of living hence the
> fact I have not mentioned this publicly on the internet, its only word
> and mouth. I do not 'wish' to compete with DMUK and this was before DMUK
> anyway.. And the end of the day people's cars were kept on the road so I
> think it's unfair to say the results 'were a long way short'. Does this
> mean you man replaces the bearings and race, shims with all new parts as
> standard? Does he gold plate it too? At the end of the day I don't doubt
> your man's ability but I do think it's unfair to publicly knock my
> friend who has been rebuilding racks for 20 plus years especially when I
> helped you out. And I picked up your rack, as a favour, and yes you had
> to collect it but you could have arranged a courier.
>
> The rack you mentioned was totally worn out, the ram and the pinion were
> worn and the race and bearings were shot. This was the reason I had
> yours rebuilt and not an exchange. This rack will never be used again.
> The fact is Burman are no longer in existence and therefore parts are
> becoming hard to find when needed. Which means your man will have to
> make new parts like PJ Grady does, hence the higher costs.
>
> As I said before this was something I did before DMUK to help people out
> and now DMUK are around would rather people go to them as I don't get
> anything out of it and its Martin and Dave's livelihood.
>
> Regards
>
> Chris

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used