Subject: [DML] Pennebaker & Hegedus (a little long...)
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 18:45:35 -0000
From: jakekamp <jakekamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello all,

Most DeLorean owners know D A Pennebaker and Chris Hegedus as the
creators of potentially the best (maybe 'only'?) DeLorean
documentary.  For those unfamiliar with the film, you can see/buy it
at www.deloreanmovie.com thanks to Dan McGauley.  I purchased a copy
of this film a few years ago despite the price and, after seeing the
video, was happy to have paid it.

Anyway, several weeks ago a co-worker drew my attention to an
advertisement for a documentary showing at Webster University, a
college here in the St. Louis, Missouri area.  The college had
arranged a week of Pennebaker/Hegedus films to be shown, and one
night included "DeLorean."  Naturally, I fired up the DeLo and headed
over.

After showing the film "movie style" in an auditorium with about 35
attendees, Pennebaker & Hegedus (who had been flown in from New York)
gave an epilogue to the DeLorean story with a Q & A session.
Immediately after showing the film, Pennebaker jokingly asked the
crowd, "So, you all have DeLoreans, right??"  The crowed laughed, but
I just raised my hand.  Then Hegedus looked at me and
asked, "Really?"  I said, "Sure!  It's sitting out back in the
parking lot!"

The Q & A session continued after I invited everyone out to see the
car after the session.  I was impressed at the detail the filmmakers
remembered about the DeLorean story after 23 years, and had almost
all of their facts right on.  I politely corrected the minor stuff,
and was asked to answer any car-specific questions (the usual stuff
like how many, when built, etc.).  It was fascinating to hear stories
from the filmmakers who probably had the best "outsider's" look
inside the DeLorean Motor Company, and I was happy to hear how
positively they still regarded the company and the car.

Later, we all went outside to see the my car.  Everyone was thrilled
to see the fruits of John's labor after seeing the documentary.  I
got talking to Pennebaker and Hegedus and found that while Pennebaker
had spent a good deal of time in the car filming test pilots, etc.,
Chris Hegedus had *never* gotten a ride in a DeLorean!  Of course, I
was happy to offer her a ride.  I drove her around a little while and
she loved the ride, even commenting on how well my car ran after all
this time.  It's funny that after spending 2 years with John and the
company, in both the United States and in Belfast, it was 23 years
later in St. Louis that she finally got a ride in a DeLorean.  After
we returned to the school, I received lots of handshakes, thanking me
for bringing my car out for everyone to see.  It's great to see all
the excitement stirred up by a car that I drive every day.  Then
again, I guess that's what owning these is all about...

--A great evening with a tremendously pleasant couple.

Speakin' up for me and 1063,

Jake Kamphoefner

DOC UK Website: www.deloreans.co.uk