Re: [doc] How to minimize expenses on importing a Delorean to the UK? He

Re: [doc] How to minimize expenses on importing a Delorean to the UK? Help

Thanks Dan,

I thought that sounded a bit on the ridiculously high side of the
tax scale. Was in kind of shock with the first price, seems
companies still try to put the squeeze on the inexperienced. Thanks
for the information. Was beginning to wonder how you cna afford gas
for the cars with such a tax rate? How do your vehicle taxes work
over there, and by definition how are the MOT taxesfigured, just
curious as to how they compare to out annual liscense tage here in
the US.

Thanks,

Joseph O'Brien

2524 & 16634

--- In doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Dan" <danielpwillis@xxxx> wrote:
> Hi Joseph,
>
> I'm with Martin on this one. I also imported a DeLorean from the
US
> a few years back (two actually). The process was simple and never
> more than $1500 in shipping. Certainly it cost a few quid this
side
> to sort paperwork and taxes but nothing sky high.
>
> Dan
>
> --- In doc-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Martin Gutkowski <webmaster@xxxx>
> wrote:
> > Hi Joseph
> >
> > I know Stephen and imported my own car a couple of years ago.
> Those
> > prices seem rediculous, and I'll get in contact with him to help
> him
> > sort it all out. For your own info, shipping should be between
> $1000 and
> > $1500 typically, and taxes once in this country should be 5% of
> purchase
> > price because of being able to classify a DeLorean as an item of
> > historic interest, which carries a much lower tax category.
> >
> > Martin
> >
> > joeyoseppijoe wrote:
> >
> > > Greetings all,
> > >
> > > Ihave been chatting with a nice gentleman named Stephen Knight
> in
> > > the UK over that last week or so. I am in the US and he has
been
> > > trying to make arrangements to buy my pristine 83 off me VIN#
> 16634
> > > and have it imported to the UK. He has been running into great
> > > financial expenses in the process around £4500 on top of the
> vehicle
> > > price. I have been kind of looking for a person who would take
> just
> > > as excellent care of the vehicle as I have, just a shame to
see
> him
> > > almost not be able to finish it because of taxes.
> > >
> > > I guess I am asking if any of the experts on importing a
> Delorean
> > > could maybe give him a pointer or show him possibly a better,
> > > cheaper way to minimize on costs? He is a very enthusiastic
and
> > > great guy, and would make an great addition to your local car
> clubs.
> > > he just doesn't have any experience with importing and maybe
he
> is
> > > being taken for a higher amount because of that?
> > >
> > > Again, his name is Stephen Knight and if any of you know of a
> better
> > > way to import a Delorean, please mail it to: knight41@xxxx
> > >
> > > I thank you for trying to help with this situation as I havent
> > > realized how heavily you were taxed in the UK. Thanks again
guys
> for
> > > any assistance you can provide to Stephen.
> > >

> > > Best regards from the US, hope to see some of you in Pigeon
Forge