[DML] Re: DeLorean Windshield Myth (source) Busted?

[DML] Re: DeLorean Windshield Myth (source) Busted?

Forum,

There has long been public confusion between the DeLorean and
the Bricklin and I may have come across another piece of the
puzzle regarding the myth of another type of windshield being
available to fit a "DeLorean".

Most know of the myth about how some have claimed that a Lotus
windshield will fit in a DeLorean, which of course, is untrue.
However, there may be a "confusion of gullwing cars" that may
have helped in the creation of this myth.

While talking to a fellow DeLorean owner (and Bricklin owner)
Bill Schafer, we were discussing a project Bricklin that he
recently sold and he brought up the fact that the project car
had a non-stock windshield in it that was "made to fit".

In other words, the project Bricklin had an older replacement
non-stock windshield in it that was too long and a different
curve at the bottom of the windshield, which required several
extra tubes of adhesive to "make it fit" and it looked OK.

A stock replacement windshield went with the project car, so
it was easy to do a comparision of how close a fit it was for
the replacement vs. the stock (one placed on top of the other)
Note: the replacement could not use the stock seal either.

The one question remains is what windshield was used for this
replacement (many years ago, due to limited OEM availability).
It is obviously not a Lotus windshield either, but there is a
non-stock replacement that appears to be a 90% good fit.

If someone knows this answer, great. (no need for speculation)

This post was not intended to start any specific Bricklin part
discussions, rather, to possibly explain part of the myth why
so many people think there may be a interchangeable windshield
from another cat that would fit a "DeLorean".

Later,
Rich W.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cbl1739" <cbl302@...> wrote:

> This may sound too simple...but a while back I replaced a windshield on a late 1980's Chevy Caprice...and I did not want to deal with the oil based stuff, so I used three tubes of BLACK water based good quality EXTERIOR caulk...worked like a charm...never had a leak or any problems...and you could NOT tell the difference,and the nice thing is any mess is just a easy water clean-up..both from the car and your hands..sold the car about five years ago,again with no problems with the windshield,just make sure you remove all the old sealer and clean the surface with the same stuff you use before you paint
>
> Claude
> 1024
> Bric

<*> Your email settings: