[DML] Re: Details on VIN...570 restoration

[DML] Re: Details on VIN...570 restoration

At the time I R&R the shifter plate adapter I was working as a Jet Engine Machinist(10+ years at that time) so I had access to some pretty exotic metals If I remember right I think I had made it from scrap Titanium in my spare time at work,and since I worked next to Welding department(Jet engine Vane welding) the welds had to be done perfect,so needless to say the welds on my Shifter plate adapter were done to Aerospace perfect tolerances ,plus I used rivitnuts ,so combine the Three factors above and you would easily think "factory prototype" part.I do have my original operation sheet that I had made up...I had R&R this back in the mid/late 1980's,and made it as a simple drop/bolt in item,easily removable,and being a Machinist to Aerospace tolerances....so YES it WILL work 100%.

Claude

P.S.
Chances are sometime in the past you have flown in a Jetliner with my workmanship since I machined  cast cases to  finished tolerances these are major cases(diffuser cases)Both Military and Commercial...So a shifter plate adapter was child's play for me at the time....

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "d_rex_2002" <rich@...> wrote:

> OK, trying to compare DeLorean Torsion Bar reverse engineering
> to sheet metal fabrication is NOT THE SAME (or even similar).
>
> Having talked to Chris N. extensively about VIN...570's complete
> restoration, I do not recall any specific emphasis on "SO GOOD"
> or "so finely done" and certainly NO use of the word "prototype"
> (this word used inaccurately regarding VIN...570 in the past)
>
> The actual text (PJ Grady UK website) about the adapter plate:
>
> "In all fairness, the template for the conversation which we
> found worked well and all that was required was a drill hole
> for the selector cable. We're not sure if this kit was from
> the Dunmurry factory or a previous owner."
>
> (we report...you decide)
>
> It is also important to note that VIN...570 has not yet been
> made road-worthy, so the adapter plate (which "fits") has not
> been fully tested (or driven at all, yet) after installation.
> I guess when Chris drives it, we will know how good it is.
>
> Later,
> Rich W.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional