Re: [DML] Re: May be buying anoter DMC..

Re: [DML] Re: May be buying anoter DMC..

The door locks work just fine without power. Knowing my module would
fail, I have disconnected it. Your lock buttons have rods on them. The
only thing the lock module does is cause the "other" door to
lock/unlock when you operate one door lock.

I agree with Harold. I think electrical current is not the problem here.

Farrar Hudkins

Farrar is correct. You could totally disconnect the battery and have no problem opening the doors one at a time if that were the only problem. If the latch rods are misadjusted, causing problems with the wiper switch, it will try to lock electrically while you try to turn the key to unlock. The lock that's showing no resistance seems a positive indication that something is either disconnected by the PO or simply broke off from being forced. The other problem is the anti-lock wedge in the door latch assembly. It's there to keep the doors from being able to lock when open. (That's why you need to manually put your latches in the closed position to lock the doors with the doors open.) The way it's designed, if the latch control rods are way out of whack,  it has the unintended and unfortunate tendency to lock and get stuck in the locked position.

Worse case scenario: if I was completely baffled, I'd carefully break out just the small center drop window on the passenger side, and try to disconnect the lock module by reaching in the window and opening the cover on the fuse/relay compartment and disconnecting the fat red wire on the lock module. Then I'd try to pry up and off the top half of the interior door panel, reaching inside from the outside. Disclaimer: I haven't tried it, I'm speculating based on past tinkering. Marc, you could lower the passenger window? on your working DeLorean and try it before bashing in a window. Next, peeling open the top of the water shield, I'd expose the upper latching bellcrank. Reach inside and rock the top half of the bellcrank back toward the? rear. If the rods are hooked up and the door was not actually locked but simply unable to unlatch, it may open. If it's locked still, you could end up hauling it to Rob Grady. I wonder what he does? I wouldn't want to saw open a hole in the floor of the footwell... that'd be pretty extreme! Hopefully there is a better way.
Wayne 11174

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: