[DML] Re: DeLorean vs Volvo F Series Question.

[DML] Re: DeLorean vs Volvo F Series Question.

This is EXACTLY  correct. I have the book with the EPA application for
the DMC-12 and you would be amazed at the level of minutia that it
entails. Frontal area, rolling resistance, fuel filler neck
specifactions, vapor recovery, warm-up time, calibrations, etc. The
thing that amazes me the most is that the advance curve is exactly the
same for the automatic AND the 5-speed! On every other line of cars I
have seen there is ALWAYS *some* kind of difference between the
automatics and the manuals. There is almost no mention of the advance
curve in any of the EPA documents. I guess they only care about the
initial and full advance, they don't care how fast you get from one to
the other. BTW the emission testing was done by Lotus @ Chryler
Coproration's proving ground in Chelsea, MI. As a point of mention,
the distributer has 2 counterweights. Most Deloreans that I have taken
the distributer apart on have only 1 spring but that controls the
revolving shaft so it actually affects both weights. On most
distribuers there usually are 2 weights, but they are not the same. In
any case there are 2 weights and they are different. That is what
causes the "knee" in the advance curve. If they were both the same the
curve would be smooth. I believe there could be some performance
improvements to be gained by experimenting with the advance curve. On
most cars (not Deloreans) the quicker you can bring in your advance
the more horespower and torque, that is until you start to get
detonation! As for reinventing the wheel, DMC wanted a 50 State car so
they made a car that would meet California's certifacations. That way
it would be good in ALL of the US so they didn't have to make a
special model just for CA and could import all the West coast cars
through CA.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Bruce Benson" <delornut@...> wrote:

> Even though the two used basically the same engine there are
differences in
> the physical characteristics of the cars. Things like rolling
resistance,
> weight, how the car deals with driven air flow resistance along with
> differences in gear ratios means that the emissions produced can be
> different. I'd guess the ignition changes were made to adjust for those
> differences.

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: