[DML] Re: WANTED: Angle Drive

Claude,

I disagree with your comments.

Yes it was only a part-leather interior but can you imagine what the
list price of a DMC-12 would have been with full leather interior? I
am sure the J D Powers team would have had something else to say about
the projected sales figures had DMC opted for full leather. The choice
of part leather was surely a case of economics. And I don't recall the
DMC-12 ever being pitched to compete against a Rolls Royce in the
first place!

In terms of the car's frame, I agree with Martin, GKN did a good job.
Regarding Bill's observations that you can't use a DeLorean for 6
months of the year without the frame turning to dust, I am prepared to
concede that perhaps the frame holds up better here in the temperate
climate of the UK rather than in the extremes in climate which you
guys experience in the US. There are some DeLoreans in the UK which
never made it to the United States. On these cars the frames are
generally in fantastic shape.

What exactly failed so catastrophically on your DeLorean(s) that has
lead you to these assumptions about the quality of components used?
DMC on the whole used leading brands and top companies to develop and
source parts for the DMC-12 including, as you already mentioned,
Bridge of Weir for the leather. Look at the people involved at the
management levels of DMC; look at the involvement of Lotus and
Giugiaro; look at the involvement of Legend Industries and
Wooler-Hodec. These were quality people and quality organisations.

Best wishes,

Phil Peters
VIN# 12173
Editor, DeLorean News
DeLorean Owners Club UK

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "cbl1739" <cbl302@...> wrote:

> JZD actually expected them to last at least 20 years,as for the
> leather used,it was the same stuff used in the Rolls Royce interior
> of that time period,but was claimed as a "full" leather
> interior...unlike the RR which had a full leather interior.
> And Lotus DID have everything to do with the engineering of the
> complete Delorean and it's mechanics good or bad cheap parts or high
> quality parts.They were the ones that engineered into the Delorean
> the Worlds HARDEST to find "bin" parts for the Delorean...25 years
> later and some of these "bin" parts are of still unknown origin or
> very hard to get!! Lotus did NOT do the Delorean to the quality
> standards of their Esprit...from which the delorean was based
> from...far below it in it's engineering standards.
> Claude

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: