Re: [DML] Bolt On Performance.

"Plenty good enough for 20 years" is the crux of the argument.

In the early 80's API rated SD engine oil was plenty good enough.
Should I forego SM rated oil in favor of SD quality? (Warren is
probably the only way I could do that).

On a similar note, at the time of manufacture 10W40 viscosity was
plenty good enough for our PRV's. By 1985 Volvo was recommending
10W30, and voiding the warranties of anyone still using 10W40.

"New", "improved", "better," "corrected/fixed" are the lexicon of our
little silver cars. Everything from radiators to door handles to tail
lights is available in a better version than 20 years ago.

You say you want numbers:
- Coil input -- 12 to 14 volts versus 8 to 10 volts
- Coil output -- up to 40,000 volts versus up to 18,000 volts.
- Wire resistance -- 50 ohms per foot versus 10,000 plus ohms per foot
- Plug gap -- .040 inches versus .024 inches

John does not have a dynometer, that is true. Very few of us do. What
he has offered is a money back guarantee. His offer to try upgrading
for your own subjective results is uncommonly generous. Unless you
have a dynometer you still won't have the numbers you seek, but you
will have empirical evidence:
- Faster and easier engine starting
- Improved fuel economy
- Cleaner exhaust
- Better high RPM performance

And if you STILL don't like them, he's offered to take them back!

John doesn't "pander" at all. He experiments and innovates, then
offers the fruits of those efforts. The time he has spent cross
referencing and sourcing replacement parts saves the rest of us
countless hours of doing it ourselves (remember: his xRef parts are
new, not 30 year old NOS). If you want the OEM experience, John
certainly is not your man. If you want to come a little closer to
2007, you could do far worse.

Bill Robertson

>--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "David Teitelbaum" <jtrealty@...> wrote:
>
> I am not shooting any arrows at you but the stock OEM parts were
> plenty good enough for 20 years and they got the car certified by the
> EPA. I will concede that there could be some performance gains
> achieved by upgrading and using newer parts. My point is I would want
> to see what gains are with #'s, not subjective opinions. New parts are
> always going to be better than old, worn out parts, stock or
performance.
> As a vendor you have to pander to the customer. If the customer wants
> blue wires he gets blue wires. If the customer will pay for and demand
> a "performance" coil, the vendors will see that he gets it! I have no
> problem with that but in my case if I am shelling out extra money for
> "performance" I want to know what I am getting. As for Mark, it is
> difficult to convey his dry sarcasim in writing. I know after I change
> the oil in my car it sounds and runs better too! Maybe better than
> when I wash it!
> David Teitelbaum
> vin 10757

<*> Your email settings: