Re: [DML] Re: anti-theft systems?

All good suggestions. I'll second the pager alarm - get the longest
range version you can find. I have a Compustar 2 way system that
boasts a 1.25 mile range. Sometimes I wish I'd have bought one with a
cellular interface instead; there'd be a delay and a monthly fee but
your car can call you from any range if there is trouble (and you can
call it to start it, etc).

The 2 way pager is nice for virtually everywhere I go, though. Only
worries me at big events or in malls where the range isn't adequate
enough through the huge parking lots & large buildings, wish I had
something with a 5 mile range instead.

Oh, and when you install the alarm, I suggest re-routing the original
ignition wires, changing their colors, and burying the ignition
cut-off relay so deep in the dash they'll never find it. Pretty well
eliminates the ability to get under the dash and hot-wire it without a
good bit of troubleshooting. Document what you do so the next owner
doesn't get screwed.

As a side note, professional thieves will likely never touch your
DeLorean. The car is too rare, they won't be able to move the parts
and most of them are smart enough to know it. Your biggest worry is
some smash & grab punk, and a decent security system installed
properly along with a trick or two will foil them.

-Ryan

On 5/10/07, David Teitelbaum <jtrealty@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There are several things you can do:
>  Install Lo-Jack
>  Use a battery master switch (the thieves will never find it)
>  Lift the plunger on the inertia switch (again)
>  Install a good alarm with a pager and an engine kill
>  Install a hidden switch in the starter circuit
>  Use a steering wheel lock
>  Park in a well lighted area
>  If they really want it they will flat-bed it and there isn't much you
>  can do about that except be well insured. The way to limit that is to
>  have it garaged.
>  The fact of the matter is that an old (25 years) car isn't on the top
>  of the theft list, it is hard to sell and the parts aren't worth all
>  that much to a chop shop so professional thieves are not looking for
>  Deloreans.
>  David Teitelbaum
>  vin 10757

<*> Your email settings: