[DML] CONCOURS? NOT REALLY...NOT ANYMORE.

[DML] CONCOURS? NOT REALLY...NOT ANYMORE.

[MODERATOR NOTE:  For anyone interested in this topic there is a seperate discussion group for the concours.  For better or worse the concours topic does not interest most DMLers, and in the past a few very opinionated people clogged the DML with a large number of concours posts.  If you are interested in competing in the Millenium Coucours I advise you to join that discussion group.  - Mike Substelny,  DML Moderator of the week]

The judging group for the Delorean "Millennium Concours" has changed the rules.....again.

This time to be a "tier" or certification system, whereby all entrants attempt to attain
certain points levels to get a two year certification. There's no clear winner, or even a "Best
of Show."
That is not a concours, not by any standard. I don't know of any other marquee that has a
concours event without a "best of show" or any clear winner. Others do have tier systems,
but there is always one that scores above the rest for that particular event.

To me this is not a concours, it's an appraisal system to determine valuation (hence
certification).

To those of you who have never competed in a concours (including most of the judges), I'd
like to clarify a few points:
It takes a tremendous amount of time and thousands of dollars to prepare and maintain a
car at true concours levels, for each and every show. You can't "win" today, and just pack
the car away until next year and expect to win again. I have competed four times, and won
first place twice, and second place twice, all with the same car. Not including the cost of
the actual car, I've invested around $25,000 plus hundreds of man hours to compete. If
there's no real winner, or best of show, why do it at all? Just to transport the car (and keep
it pristine) it costs about $3000 per show. You can't drive or open trailer a real concours
car.
James and the crew at DMC Houston worked really hard to create the Millennium concours
and it's judging manuals, and now that they've handed it off, the new group has ruined it.
All that hard work has gone to waste.

My recommendation is go to Houston and enjoy the open house, they are always fun and
informative events. But, unless you plan to sell your car soon, don't bother with the
concours.

The bottom line, without a "Best of Show", it's not a concours, not really.

Daniel Deutsch
Orlando
3356 & 15779

<*> Your email settings: