[DML] Re: Illinois Emission Testing (ALL DeLoreans exempt as of Feb. 1,

[DML] Re: Illinois Emission Testing (ALL DeLoreans exempt as of Feb. 1, 2007)

Forum,

A red letter day for all DeLoreans in IL is approaching...

I am very happy to report that ALL DeLoreans registered in
Illinois will be exempt from emissions testing as of next
week, Feb. 1, 2007.  I confirmed these details today while
E-testing my winter daily driver (for the last time).

When I pulled into the emissions testing facility, I was
surprised to see that all the lanes except the last one
indicated they were test lanes for only 1996 vehicles and
newer, with only one lane left open for 1995 and older.

Upon further inquiry, I was told the effective date for
the new exemptions and I was very pleased to find out that
all of my current vehicles (newest is 1994) are now ALL
exempt from hassle and damage created by the E-testing.

Although I believe emission testing is a good thing, I have
had two DeLorean clutches burned up by two inexperienced
emission testers in the past 12 years and owning many cars
that are not driven many miles a year leads to more hassles.

Of course, this is also very good news to other vehicle
owners that are "stuck in the 80's" and for vehicle owners
"stuck in the 70's" (Bob Brandys comes to mind, LOL) who
will no longer need to take their vintage cars for testing.

This news could push up the priority of an engine swap on
one of my 83 DeLoreans that I was holding off on until next
year (for the 25 year exemption).  Now I need to make a
decision on an engine, if I decide to move forward on it.

Later,
Rich W.

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "d_rex_2002" <rich@...> wrote:

> Marty,
>
> I was very glad to hear about the new exemption, so now
> I do not have to register all my DeLoreans as "antiques"
> to get the exemption (in Illinois).  I just wish they had
> made that decision last year, but at least it's been made.
>
> Also glad to hear your turbo passed its last test, which
> is better than (at least) one IL DeLorean did last year
> with the DMCH kit.  He passed before he installed the kit
> but could not pass afterward.  It's all a moot point now.
>
> Later,
> Rich W.

[moderator snip]

<*> Your email settings: