RE: [DML] Rotary in the DMC DeLorean

Rodney,

Jim did the black rotary conversion and the website is:-
http://www.eliseusa.com/rotary.shtml
The video of the Rotary car can still be downloaded and Jim can still be
contacted at the bottom of the same webpage.

My previous discussion with Jim is edited below:-

Re: Rotary DeLorean 28/10/04

The spec of the engine was:-
The 20b engine is a 2.0 Litre, 3-rotor rotary wankel engine, 300HP, and
297ft-lb of torque at 3000RPM.  It was originally sold in a very large
heavy car, the eunos  cosmo JC, sold by Mazda in 1990-1996 in Japan and
Australia.  It resembles the 929.  The miata (mx-5) is known as the "eunos
roadster" some places.
The Cosmo was available only with an automatic transmission.  Pics are
available at http://cp_www.tripod.com/rotary/pg09.htm with some more
specs.  The horsepower figures are 'claimed' at 280hp because that is the
legal limit for street cars in Japan.  Independent testing found that the
20b is consistently ~300hp.

Regarding what I'd change if I did it again, I'd probably use the 13b,
2-rotor.  Parts are MUCH easier to find, and it would fit in the DeLorean
better.  The 20b and the extra gear in the g50 transmission ended up making
the unit very long, only fitting in the D frame with significant
modification.  The 5-speed box or the 2 rotor (one rotor and side-housing
shorter ~6") would make a better fit.  It's also lighter.  They also have
much less electronics than the 20b, which came in a state-of-the-art luxury
car in the 90s (read, thousands of wires).

Turbos are often used more than superchargers because they take away less
power to operate well.  They're also more often used with
small-displacement engines.  The import engines generally rev to higher
RPMs, and turbos are more effective/efficient than superchargers at higher
RPMs.

http://photos.noroads.com/dcs2004?id=499

Adding NOS to your car is probably a reasonable modification that can be
done without spending the time and money on conversion.  Also, resale value
on conversions are JUST NOT very good in general, and are horrific with the
Delorean.  You can pick up a nice "wet" NOS setup for ~$600USD, and you
could expect a reasonably increase in HP.  You just have to be willing to
change NOS bottles when they go empty, which is only as fun as you can make
it.

I don't think I'd put the NOS in the trunk though, that seems a little far
away from the point of use.  I'm not sure if there is a reasonably better
place to put on though- maybe in the pooka behind the driver seat?  Maybe
make a hole in the rear pontoon?  Well, I guess it depends on the size of
the bottle.

Jim

The NOS prices you saw are pretty high, you can look at some systems at
http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/CategoryDisplay?cgmenbr=361&cgrfnbr=6
66

Remember, you don't have EFI.   It's mechanical Fuel Injection, and may
make a different depending on the setup.