[DML] Re: More on tire pressure

You might want to go right down to 23 and 30. I know of no good reason
to overinflate the tires unless you are going 100 mph for extended
periods. Use an accurate tire gauge and check the tires in the morning
BEFORE driving the car. Don't forget the spare, check it at least once
a month. You are correct, the tire pressure has a HUGE effect on the
driving and handling qualities, not to mention safety and tire life. I
never trust tire shops, they will overinflate the tires to seat them
on the rims but rarely adjust the tire prressures properly afterward.
Tire shops also will put the lug nuts on so tight you won't be able to
loosen them unless you have an impact wrench. Try taking the lugnuts
off in the dark, in the rain, with the lug wrench that comes with the
car! After you get home from the tire shop you should remove the
tires, wash the protective coating off, and reinstall with a torque
wrench. Wait at least 3 hours or even better, the next morning, check
the pressures. Check the tire pressures at least once a month and
before any long drive.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Steve Auyer" <n2tkx@xxxx> wrote:
> I remember the discussion on tire pressure of several weeks ago, so
let me add my two cents worth based upon a recent
> experience.
>
> I recently replaced the tires on my car with Michelin Pilots:
P195/60R14 in the front and P235/60R15 in the rear. Both
> of these tires are rated for a maximum pressure of 44 PSI.
>
> While the Michelins were better than the  cruddy replacements that
were on the car when I bought it, I noticed that the