[DML] Re: BTF car(s).

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Tom Tait" <TTait@xxxx> wrote:
>> There were a number of picture cars built for the 3 movies.  Most
did not fair well.  Although I have no firsthand knowledge of this
as a fact, I have been told that the BTTF 3 car with oversized
whitewalls was sold to someone in Northern California in the last
year or so, but I have no details.

*There is one still on the backlot wich many can see if its still
there facing the golf course in the Transportation dept(take the VIP
tour to see) near the prop house. the car has no grill and many time
parts missing but looks sun beat with the white walls. I also got to
see the engine it it different than a stock Delorean and forgot what
it was.

>>I know there has been recent mention of the car used in the ride
as well.  First know that in most of the ride you are seeing
miniature cars, about 24 inches long.There were at least 2 flying
models, one with fixed wheels and one with pivoting wheels.  Another
smaller model was used for the lavafall scene. There was no,
absolutely no CG in the ridefilm - mostly in camera effects,
traditional matting and some hand rotoscoping.  The only Digital
model of the Delorean was used for diagnostic video sequences in the
preshow video - created by Mojo on an old Video Toaster.  Some of
those models are now in the hands of private collectors.

**Dont forget the Half Delorean that was set on a gimble also used
for BTTF2 and the before video with Doc on the ride. I am not sure
if this is the same half car ( go to www.bttf.com gallery) as the
one used in the Specal FX show at Universal back in the 90s because
that one had no hood or front. This car can be seen at Universal
Hollywood on the VIP Tour only.

> The only "real" Delorean in the ridefilm itself was shipped from
> Hollywood to the Berkshires. It was treated with paraffin wax and
spray snow to create the look of a icy cold Delorean.  Although it
ran poorly, it did not run in the film.  It rolled down a ramp into
frame and spun sideways with cable assists with Tom Wilson at the
wheel.  It was then trucked back to Hollywood.

This is the car as seen on this site neat story:

  http://www.samnet.net/alfaguy/timemachine/index.html

**The promo car at USH its just a promo I have not seen the
refurbished screen used. the inside has nothing to show but a sun
baked interior, oddly the door has a #1 on it.  This car was taken
out last year and broke down 2 blocks away from USH in Studio
City,CA. Was serviced by the Cheveron in Studio City and then fixed
by the transportation dept at USH.  And can be seen in front of the
ride today.

Charlie

Behalf
> Of Faded N Jaded
> Sent: Sunday, July 03, 2005 11:17 AM
> To: dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Subject: Re: [DML] BTF car(s).
>
> If I'm interpreting the information which Tom Tait gave us, the
movie
> studio went out and bought a car to pass off as the original BTF
car
> when in fact it wasn't. It was just a car they bought, and
presumably
> transformed to look like the BTF car, so that they could reap some
> publicity off of it. So, in reality, the car which Tom Tait says he
> bought is really not the original car used to make any of the BTF
cars
> but just one they used to advertise the movie.
>

> I don't want to imply that the car which Tom Tait bought is worth
less
> because of that; I merely want to be sure I understand what
transpired
> there. I would imagine the rest of us on this list would like to
know
> the true and accurate story as well.
>

> Because of what Tom told us, my question still stands, what did
happen
> to the original car or cars used in the movies? Does anyone know?
>

> My original question was prompted by a claim by someone who says he
> bought the original BTF car and is restoring it. He did not
identify
> himself as Tom. I have not yet seen the car but I do know where he
> lives, hence my desire to know where, or approximately where Tom
Tait
> lives.
>

> Might there be several cars out there claiming to be BTF
originals? I'm
> beginning to wonder.
>
> sandorp1 <piszar@xxxx> wrote:Tom, that's pretty fortunate for
> you. How did you learn about that car and who to make an offer to?
And