[DML] DMC Long Range Product Plan and more (long)

[DML] DMC Long Range Product Plan and more (long)

This document was among the files we acquired from KAPAC, and it's
probably about 50-60 pages in length, and appears to be a draft rather
than a "final" copy. Nevertheless, it provides for interesting
reading. As an example, I've posted a quick and dirty scan of one page
here:

http://www.delorean.com/lrpp.jpg

How to best present these items to the DeLorean community has been a
problem I've been wrestling with for some time. As David T. mentioned,
these items have some instrinsic value as "intellectual property" and
are considered to be assets that we acquired through our purchase of
the KAPAC inventory.

Also, as David mentioned, there are limits as to what I can
distribute, not so much for "secrecy", but for time constraints. The
history of the original DMC is of great interest to me, but it
generates absolutely zero revenue for the company. Stephen does prefer
that I spend my working hours on projects and tasks that generate
income for the company, as you might imagine.

I would like to be able to scan and post them online, but don't want
them to be "lifted" from the site and posted everywhere. I want them
to be used as a "draw" to our website or magazine. That is the "wiggle
 room" that I have with Stephen to get these scanned, posted, whatever.

In that respect, some of the original memos and telexes that we got
with the KAPAC purchase or the files donated to us by Leif Montin have
been reprinted in the current issue of "deloreans" magazine. I expect
that we will continue to do so in that manner. However, items like
this 50-60 page document are not feasible to print, even in sections,
in the magazine.

At the our recent Open House event, BRP'ers were invited to relax in
the conference room here at DMC (Texas) and peruse the files to their
heart's content. Access to this is limited usually to events like this
because we don't feel comfortable letting just anyone wade around in
the files. Some of you longtimers may recall the 1998 Cincinnati
DeLorean Show, and the trip to our old warehouse in Columbus and the
theft issues from the event. I applaud Ken'e effort to have some
"museum-type" display set up at the DCS PR show in 2006.

In my spare time, after working hours, I have been scanning these
memos, files and telexes with the idea of burning them to CD/DVD, but
there are literally thousands (maybe tens of thousands) of pages of
files here. I've culled through them over the years and have about
250-300 of the interesting ones scanned.

This brings up a related subject, the massive amount of historical
documents being sold online by the bankruptcy trustee. I believe that
once these documents are sold and in private collections, they will
never see the light of day again. In a worst case scenario, in the
event of a divorce or child going off to college, some of these items
may be discarded by a malevolent spouse or an unwitting parent. In any
case, they're no better off in the hands of the eBayer than they were
in the trustee's files.

I've appealed, as have others, to the bankruptcy trustee to donate
these items to the Crawford Musuem in Cleveland (home of the first
production DeLorean built, #500) or to allow an organized group access
to these files for the purpose of copying and preserving them before
they are sold off to collectors around the world. The bankruptcy
trustee, at the time, insisted that neither was possible, and the
items were being sold to provide funds for the creditors of the
original DMC. I was under the impression that this action had been
closed, and if this is the case, where are these funds going? There is
at least one creditor of the original DMC on the list - can you
confirm or deny that you may be receiving any more settlements from
the bankruptcy trustee?

The preservation of these files, and if possible, to get those who
have bought things previously or who hold documents from the original
DMC, to copy them and make them available for preservation as well is
a task that should be undertaken by a well-organized national or local
DeLorean group in conjunction with a major auto-related museum (DCO,
are you listening?)

I would be happy to donate copies of all the DMC related files, memos,
and telexes to an organized, structured effort in this regard and I
would encourage all others to do the same. So much of the history of
the original DeLorean Motor Company is lost forever, I would hope that
what does remain can be preserved.

James Espey
DMC (Texas)
http://www.delorean.com
800/USA-DMC1

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, PRC1216@xxxx wrote:
> I remember a year or two ago, James mentioned they found a sheet
with all of
> the specs for the 1984 model DeLorean and all of the changes such as
a radio
> mounted up top on the headliner and a light in the ash tray, and
numerous other
> changes.   James, you said you were going to scan this and put it
online, but
> I haven't been able to find it yet.   Is this going to happen soon?
  Was I