Re: [DML] Re: A/C Problems RESOLUTION!

(long post to include details)

All,

I am happy to report that last weekend I solved my strange A/C problem.  To
bring everyone up to speed, my conditions were:

-compressor NEVER cycled off; on constantly
-A/C "worked", but was never as cold as it should be
-replaced orifice tube, accumulator bottle, and low pressure switch
-compressor and hoses were less than 5 years old with no leaks
-evap would periodically leak on passengers' feet, but the hose still
drained
-Vacuumed and replaced freon

I had stopped using the A/C because I didn't want to break something by
running it the compressor and fans continuously.  Periodically, when it got
hot enough, I would use it for special occasions.  While it can be fun to
watch female passengers squirm when cold water drips on their feet, it's
mildly embarrassing because they don't understand why it happens.  So last
Saturday, I set out to increase the flow from my evaporator drain tube.

I removed the fan motor and worked my hands into the evaporator box (where
is Jim Reeve when you need him?!).  Working very slowly with the use of some
tools and my giant hands and forearms, I found some junk near the evaporator
core that I was able to pinch and remove.  Then I spent a good deal of time
pumping water from my garden hose into the evaporator casing, rinsing the
evaporator, while a shop vac was hooked up to the drain hose outside the
car.  When I was satisfied that the drain was flowin', I put it back
together.  I took the car for a drive and checked the A/C, just for grins.
After a few minutes, I start hearing the click of the compressor clutch
behind me.  WTF?? This is the first time I've heard that from my car.  Yee
haw!!  The compressor and fans cycle exactly with the frequency I'd expect,
and my vent temperatures are typically about 38 degrees F.  Last night, it
was about 88 degrees outside in the 6PM sun and my vent temperature hit
about 31 degrees F, fan speed 3, with the compressor cycling every 10
seconds or so.  You can imagine my excitement....

My theory is that the dirt on the evap was enough to make the system work
inefficiently enough to never cycle off, despite low pressures showing at
the compressor.  Now there are still some things I can't understand:  Why
did my compressor insist on staying on even when the system was at vacuum
with no freon??  Perhaps most cars with these conditions are being cycled
from the high pressure side, making it rather unnoticeable.  --My car has
never been fitted with a high pressure switch.  Admittedly, I've been too
busy to think much about this because I've been spending all my time in my
ice-cold car.  :-)

PUBLIC THANKS SECTION:  From the list, great thanks to Teitelbaum, Swingle,
Sontos, Levy, Hervey, McElraft, and anyone else.  Thanks to Marty Maier and
Steve Fincher from my local group who spent a couple weekends with me
testing, replacing, studying, and scratching our heads.  Also a big thanks
to Warren and James at DMCH, and Steve Wynne who, personally and
unsolicited, called my office to make some great suggestions to me after
seeing the post on the DML(I don't even know how he got that number, but how
about that for service?!!)  Very cool.  I never thought the resolution would
be so simple, but I always appreciate the support of this group.... and the
allowance of a really long post!  :-)

Jake Kamphoefner
1063