Re: [DML] Detroit, US government, and DeLorean

Re: [DML] Detroit, US government, and DeLorean

Nice conspiracy theory.  It just doesn't add up.  It is
not rational for the major auto companies to worry
about somebody like DeLorean when they were
absolutely floundering against the more established
foreign auto manufacturers.  It's simply not worth
their time and effort to deal with a company selling
8000 cars a year in a market they really didn't
compete in at the time when billions were at risk
from other competition.

I can't pretend to know the mind of Margaret
Thatcher, but she came to power just as the
company was reaching a crisis.  It was to her
political advantage to refuse to continue financing
a risky and failing project started by a previous
administration.  The same thing happens in the
US defense industry all the time.

DeLorean was done in by unfortunate market timing,
poor planning, poor financial management, and by
unfavorable financing terms that forced him to build
cars that had no customers in order to maintain his
cash flow.  His overly-complex corporate structure
was also a key contributor in that it looked like he
was trying to hide the real financial story.  The product
was a problem too, with a reputation for poor build
quality and relatively poor performance at a very
high cost for the time.  The fact that every one of them
looked exactly alike played no small part.

As far as the drug sting attempt is concerned, this was
brought on by the company John kept.  Opportunism
on everyone's part is what brought this to pass.

You don't need some deep, dark international conspiracy
theory when there is ample evidence the business failed
for traditional reasons.  Of course - that's not nearly as
entertaining.

--
Mike

-------------- Original message from Marc Levy <malevy_nj@xxxxxxxxx>: --------------