[DML] Engine woes

When I started up my D 2 weeks ago there was a small pop as she turned
over and then  she roared to live. I looked in the mirror as I went to
back out of the garage and noticed that there was a huge cloud of vapor
coming out of the tailpipes. At first I thought that it was
condensation because of sitting for a couple weeks but then I smelled
antifreeze so I pulled back into the garage. I opened the cap on the
water bottle and saw that the coolant was frothy and thought, "well,
time for new head gaskets.

Sent her off to the shop and had them get started on the gaskets only
to find out that coolant had corroded through the passage in the head
into the combustion chamber.

So now I'm looking at a used head, having the valves ground since the
heads are out, new crankshaft seal since we are in there and replacing
the timing chain that is adjusted out all the way. Since  its all torn
apart, might as well replace the clutch slave  also. Looking at $1200
just in labor. I'm fortunate that I have a good mechanic that is
familiar with these engines and isn't learning as he goes.

I have changed the coolant once a year but have a feeling that the PO
who was the original owner let it go for some time, So the moral is
change the coolant or it will cost a bundle.

Phil Priestley
Alessandros Restaurant
http://alessandros120.com/
(503)370-9951