Re: [DML] Re: Cup Holder - ADVANCED

The problem with all of these clip on drink holders is that they take up space on the passenger side.
Where will my wife put her knees?
I guess we will have to take the cup holder while she holds my drink!

Back to the idea of cutting into the frame, I was going to do it rather advaned.
There would not simply be a hole, I would fabricate and weld together a "CUP" and
weld it into place, and cover it in matching vinyl.

The design of the cup holder in my Taurus is deep, it will easily hold most "large" cups
from the fast food places, and easily swallow a can or a bottle.
The thing that makes it special is that it is deep and snug.
These clip on drink holders have no strength.
One quick stop or turn and SPLASH!
I have never spilled a drink in my Taurus.

My D is to be a daily driver.
I live in my car....and damnit, on those long-stuck-in-traffic days to Dallas I need a
large cup of sweet tea - sip it all day.
I guess it's the country boy in me.
I don't smoke, drink or take drugs - damnit let me have my tea!!!!!!

SO one way or another I will figure out how to put a useable drink holder in my D,
even if it means cutting the friggin frame in HALF!

- VB

[moderator snip]

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003 04:18:50 -0000, videobob11 wrote:

> We have all seen that clip on cup holder for sale, ....
[snip]
> I have an idea but I am not sure if it will fly.
[snip]
> My idea is to remove the top of the console and ashtray,
> and custom build a new one. The idea is to either drill
> into the actual frame with a hole saw and recess the cup
> holder down into it with a matching base.

I wouldn't do this... Sawing into the backbone of the frame
is a BAD idea and just cutting into the fiberglass body under
the console would probably not give you enough clearance
AND it will let a LOT of road noise through into the cabin,
ask Martin G.!

[moderator snip]