Inertia switch failure

My daily driver car experienced an inertia switch failure the other
day. I was surprised at the condition of the failed inertia switch
when I removed it -- it had clearly experienced overheating and was
visibly deformed and melted in places. I presume that over time the
electrical contacts within the unit degraded, resulting in some
resistance though the unit and associated I^2 * R heating.

Because it's in a location that is easy to overlook, you might
consider examining yours the next time you're doing periodic
maintenance to verify that yours is not showing any signs of heating.

Mine had 160,000 miles on it.

Knut