Re: High Mileage

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "thebrave65" <johnnysher1@xxxx> wrote:
> I would like to hear some opinons about high mileage Deloreans.
I'm
> considering purchasing one that has over 120K. My main concern is
> the mechanical part of the vehicle. I can refurb an interior
later.
> I know that a lot of you will say "It depends on how well the car
was
> cared for", and that's fine. However, I still would like to hear
> from anyone who has owned/worked around one and has some
experiences
> (good or bad) they would like to share.
>
> Johnny

My D is a high-miler too. (120K). Cosmetically, it sucks and those of
you who came out to Marvin Stein's London Canda meet last June can
attest to that... lol! The interior is a mess, the louvre is crappy
and so is the RH fender and door. But, turn the key and she fires
right up. I've only had one hard-start problem and that was, of
course, at Marvin's Canadian meet. Must be Murphy's Law! You could
say that my DMC is a driveable restoration project, but I drive it
almost everyday during the summer months and it hasn't let me down.

Now, I have done many updates to this car, such as the relays,
new alternator, S.S. clutch line, fuel pump, O2 sensor, etc. but
that's just common sense for any 22 year old car. With the recommended
upgrades, a Delorean can be an extremely reliable car, even with high
mileage. The PRV engine was extensively used in Europe for years and
proved to be very reliable.

It's my opinion that cars are built to be driven, not left sitting
idle in a garage, and Deloreans are no exception. In fact, long
periods of storage can be WORSE on a car then if it was being driven
all along. Parts seize up and seals dry out from lack of use.

It all depends on what you want. A low-miler, completely original
concourse Delorean will win at the car shows, but if it has only been
driven 1000 miles in the last 20+ years, I wouldn't trust it to get me
back home.

Richard Rowe
5853