Re: [DML] ODD vs EVEN Fire

Hmm,

I didn't know this; I guess it is because of how the manual shows the
firing order, 1-6-3-5-2-4. I noticed from the distributor cap that there
were three sets of 2, and had just assumed that it was 1-6, 3-5, 2-4. I
guess a better firing order might have been 6-3-5-2-4-1. Besides having
the '1' as the starting cylinder, is there any reason for the firing
order as published and not as I have written, assuming that My Wilson is
correct?

Jim
1537

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 16:40:01 -0400 (EDT) William T Wilson
<fluffy@xxxx> writes:
> On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 doctorDHD@xxxx wrote:
>
> > I know this has been talked about before but I can't find it...
> What is
> > the difference between Odd and Even fire?
>
> With odd fire, the cylinders fire in pairs, the two cylinders in the
> same
> "length-wise" position firing in rapid succession, then a pause,
> then two
> more, then another pause, then the last two. With even fire, the
> cylinders all fire individually and are distributed around the
> engine in
> an order which minimizes vibration and noise.
>
> Generally odd-fire engines have more low-end torque, but even-fire
> engines
> run more smoothly. There's a big difference in the sound and feel,
> but
> not that much in the performance.
>
> There are a lot more even fire engines around because most people
> value
> noise and smoothness over torque, but odd fire engines are still
> popular
> in places- the Viper uses an odd fire engine (but of course with
> five
> groups of cylinders instead of three :) )

Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!