Re: [DML] Delorean Question

 Andy hit it VERY well. The DeLorean is not a car to be used for drag-racing. even if you find one with the twin turbo engine, this is a car for luxury driving - not racing. It is strictly a car that is made for someone who wants to enjoy a vehicle for what it's worth. This is a very rare car; you can get a viper or an acura anyday. There are about 6500 or so DeLoreans left on the streets. You will get so many looks, thumb-ups,stares, shouts, and smiles it's unbelievable. I have a friend who owns a DeLorean, and he gets so many of the above it's hilarious. I see people drive around the car in a parking lot yelling out "DeLorean" like 3 times, then they just drive off. This car really IMHO is the closest you'll get to "celebrity status". If you are the only one in town that has one; everyone will know the answer to "who owns that car?" very quickly - a good or a bad thing depending how you look at it. Let's face it - alot of people (including myself) only know the
DeLorean from BTTF (Back to the Future). The overall public loves that trilogy of movies, so when they see the car from the movie; they feel a sense of nostalgia and "wow - that's the BTTF car! awesome!" feeling. The other cars are nice, but the parts are extremely costly; the insurance for the other two cars could be through the roof depending on your age. I'm 22, and my upcoming DeLorean AND a Nissan 94 XE pickup insured with a full policy for 2 people is roughly $656.00 for 6 months. That's incredible - considering my age and 2 people being on the policy with one work truck and an exotic "weekend" car. The DeLorean is a respected "antique" vehicle; it is truly a granted treasure to posses this car. Be prepared, the DeLorean is known for having alot of repairs and bugs, but this car is 22 years old - youngest being 20 yrs old. Any car - even dependable cars like Toyotas, Mazdas, and Nissans - will have bugs and/or repairs after 20-22 yrs. Features on the car - the
different sized rims (14" front, 15" back), stainless steel body, and of course the Gullwing doors all separate this car from the rest. Sure, some cars do have different sized rims, but not many. No other feature the body nor the Gullwing doors (ok, some do - but very very few). On top of that, the community for this car is extremely open and friendly. I don't even own my car yet, and I have countless questions. I have received so many responses it's incredible. From the vibe I get here, there are very few "snooty" DeLorean owners, and everyone is like a single unit. In comparison to the other 2, most repairs you can do on this car if you own the manuals and have the right tools (thinks "tie rods" to my friend here in town). I don't know about the other two, but I sure as heck know I wouldn't know where to begin to repair them. Parts are not extraordinarily expensive for the DeLorean, some are more expensive than others. Most parts for the DeLorean are actually cheaper
then the majority of cars on the road today. The DeLorean features that beautiful "wedge shape" as well - the other two have a "ho hum" look to them. Don't get me wrong; they are very beautiful and exotic, but the DeLorean just looks way different in comparison. I'm basically repeating everything everyone else said, but I had to voice this because this is how I feel, and I don't even have mine yet. I get mine this November, but I feel like people here in the DML really car about one another. They give advice that others charge $60-$150 an hour just to look at your car. I enjoy being in the company of others and being a "soon to be owner" who own such a rare piece of automotive history, and that alone IMHO is what makes the DeLorean so desirable. Price, insurance, parts, specific body features, and the community - see if the other 2 cars can match those listed items.