Re: Spark Plug wires resistance.

You really have to be careful with carbon (resistance) wires. You can
NEVER pull on them. It take very little force on them to break the
carbon inside. An old mechanics trick to see if you have a breakdown
in the high tension side of the ignition system is to get a small
portable radio. Set it on AM in between stations. Hold it near the
motor when running. If you hear a lot of noise (ticks) then you might
have sparks jumping somewhere that you might not even see like inside
the wire jacket or in the spark plug well. Another old trick is to run
the motor in the dark and WITH YOUR HANDS IN YOUR POCKETS look over
the motor at the cap, ignition wires and spark plug wells. If you see
a blue glow or sparks jumping around you have to replace the ignition
wires, cap, rotor, etc. BE CAREFUL, you are dealing with a lot of
voltage. If the shock doesn't injure you it could cause you to pull
your hand back and damage it on a sharp edge or if you jump back you
could fall and hurt yourself. The resistance on suppression wires
varies with the length of the wire. They are not all the same length
so they WILL vary in resistance. I forgot the rule of thumb for the
resistance per foot. Never pull on the wires to remove from the spark
plugs. You should pull on the boot with a twisting motion. Inspect for
cracks and hardness, the wires should be flexible. Any cracks or
hardness indicates a spot where the electric was arcing out of the wire.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757