speedometer trouble

My odometer works but not the speedometer. When I first got the car,
neither worked. I replaced the angle drive and cables, and found the
lower cable was 1/2" short. If I hook a drill up to the lower cable
(to simulate driving) both the speedometer and odometer work. When
hooked up and driving, only the odometer works. They both operate off
the same cable don't they? How could this be? Help.

John
1383 $ 5326