Re: First, Everyday driver

I wouldn't reccomend a DeLorean as a first car, no. For the most
part, the car is easily repair able. And as far as "quirks" go, it's
really not so bad. You're just as likely to find the same problems
with a DeLorean, that you'd run across with a used car. So repairs
(as it has been stated many times over) are not an issue with a
DeLorean. But handling is.

I would consider the DeLorean to be a car for a more advanced driver.
The odd weight bias from front to back, and the lack of Anti-Lock
Brakes can make the car quite difficult to control under
paniced/emergency situations. Within the first year of ownership for
example, I'd spun it around twice hard braking. And a few times, I've
almost run people off the road, because they've been in my blind
spots. Which is another concern. I'm not racing people, but I
constantly speed ahead of other cars that pace me, to purposefully
keep them out of my blindspots. And keeping track of where other cars
on the road are is nessisary as well.

Now, you may not nessisarily wreck your first car. I didn't. Although
I was involved in a minor collision in another vehicle. The reason
that more young people (I hate the term, "kids", and want to
personally smack anyone who refers to their car as "Adult Owned") is
a lack of practical experience behind the wheel. I myself, for
example, didn't learn to drive until I was 18, and still feel that
the driving test I took wasn't good enough. The best way to learn to
avoid trouble, is to get into it. I'm not saying that you should wait
until after you wreck a car, or anything like that. After all,
automobile related injuries can be qutie long term. What I would
reccomend is aside from taking a good defensive driving course, look
into perhaps a performance driving class. You'll have fun, and learn
quite a bit without getting injured.

Now with all this being said, this doesn't mean that the DeLorean
doesn't handle well. On the contrary, the DeLorean IMO handled
exceptionially well. It's just that unlike many cars of toady that
come equiped with safety devices designed to take control to prevent
you from getting into an accident, the DeLorean requires you to take
on that burdon yourself, and do most of the work. The rear weight
bias, and the understeer on the car do allow the rear end to break
traction allot easier, yes. But once you learn to control it, it
makes the car MUCH more fun, and nimble. Plus it's quite practical
when you need to make quick U-turns.

In addition, I wouldn't reccomend the DeLorean as a first car,
because you want to get that urge to race out of your system. Even
before I picked my D up, I got a rental car for about 3 days, and
just tore the thing up racing it, jumping it, and in general, just
driving the hell out of the car. Once I got my D, I was relaxed, and
just cruised all the way home. Well, *most* of the way! :p

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"