Re: Fuel injector cleaners in gas tank ----Noooooo don't do it!

Since the Delorean uses a continuous injection system (CIS) it is
usually easy to clean the injectors and have them work like new. In
pulse type (where there is an electrical plug on the injector) there
is a valve inside that turns the injector on and off. This type is
much harder to clean and usually requires replacement. In the use of
ANY fuel additive you must always be careful that you don't
contaminate the catalytic converter. The additive MUST say safe for
use in cars with a converter. In general all of the auto manufacuteres
take a dim view of additives for the oil, coolant, and fuel. The
gasoline has enough detergent to keep a system clean and if it is
moderatly dirty with use it will clean it up. Pouring cleaner into a
system with problems is only going to cause more. The cleaner is more
for preventive use than for a cure. I have been able to "fix" (clean)
injectors with terrible spray patterns, leaking, dribbling, wrong
opening pressure, etc. It does require the injector tester-cleaner and
mineral spirits. It also takes a few minuets, I work on it until I see
a good pattern, the correct pressures, and I hear it "sing". I agree
in some cases it is nice to "match up" a bunch of injectors with very
close opening pressures but on a CIS system it isn't that important.
More important is to MAKE SURE that you have the correct injector with
the right part #. It is possible someone changed 1 or more and didn't
get it right! Once you clean the injectors, tune up the engine, and
fix the vacuum leaks the car won't hardly hunt at all!
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757