Water pump, struts and heat shield

1.
My waterpump evidently went kaput, right on a Volvo dealership
parking area. They quoted me $1450 for a new pump installation and
that is ludicrous! They also claimed that the exhaust manifold need
to be removed in order to get to the rear hose connection on the
engine. The car came back home on a dolly!

The hoses in my D are only about 6 years old, the fans, otterstat,
etc., are running fine and I believe that all I need is to verify
that the leak is in the pump and replace it. I also know that it is a
bitch of a job with the short hose at the rear, etc., but I have
never done it myself.

2.
I am also looking for recent information about the door struts. I
replaced them 2 years ago with new struts from one of the better
vendors, but they are both bad again. What's new and better and who
sells them?

I know that both subjects has been covered here several times,
although I have not followed the postings the last few months. I have
not found the information in the archive.

Is there anything in the arcives on these two subjects or do I have
to plow through all the old files?
Alternatively, does anybody have a write up and is willing to send me
a copy? Or the related archive numbers?

3.
Finally, has anybody tried the German made double layer SS heat
shield? Or has somebody come up with a better design here in the US?
Does anybody have a layout drawing?

Lotsa questions here, but any advice will be appreciated!

Roger
VIN 1074