Re: [DML] DeLo Design, Use, Etc (Re: Delorean complex?)

Re: [DML] DeLo Design, Use, Etc (Re: Delorean complex?)

>Is amazing DMC was able to come so close to the mark >right out
> starting gate, especially since this wasn't just a first year >model,
> but a totally new product.
>
> Bill Robertson

One thing to remember about the production of the DeLorean is that it
required no paint. A modern paint shop in a high production auto plant at
that time probably cost over $100 million not even thinking about the added complications and quality issues. Also, the plastic underbody was
fitted with the stainless panels without expensive alignment tooling. (even
if we love the car we've got to admit that this fact shows on most cars). It
was a quick and less complicated start up, at least compaired to modern high capacity assembly plants. Some of this was necessitated because DeLorean had relied on Lotus to develop many of the assembly procedures and components. Lotus had a vast engineering experiance but no high production back ground. With investors fidgeting in the wings and Lotus moving at a too slow pace, things got pushed ahead before a more sophisticated assembly process could be implimented. With all that in mind, yes,it is amazing they came as close to the mark as they did.

Bruce Benson