Re: Fuel System Contamination

If the system isn't terrible I would just drain the fuel tank and wipe
it out. If it isn't too bad then most of the crud is stopped by the
small strainer on the end of the fuel pick-up hose. The really small
fine stuff should be trapped in the fuel filter. Unless you are having
a lot of trouble with the fuel system all that I would do is have the
fuel injectors cleaned and tested. If the engine runs at all before
you start that should be enough. If the car hasn't been run and you
are really worried then drain the tank, wipe it out, fill with fresh
gas and run the motor. The system should flush most of the dirt either
into the tank or the fuel filter. Drive the car a little and then wipe
the tank out again and replace the fuel filter. Once you are sure you
got all of the dirt out then clean the fuel injectors. While you are
in the tank inspect all of the parts and replace any quetionable,
deteriorated parts. The fuel filter is supposed to protect the fuel
distributer and injectors. The accumulater may be bad but dirt won't
hurt it too much, age does.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757