Re: speaker pods

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Jonas P" <Delorean3543@xxxx> wrote:
> I have heard of people on the list talk about speaker pods (or Q-
> forms as we called them when I was in the car stereo business) that
> fit in the lower kick panels of the DeLorean. Can anyone tell me
what
> vender has these and where I could see pics?
> Jonas 3543

In the "Stereos" folder in the photos section, I have pics of the
prototype pods that I had fabricated and installed down @ Garden
Grove over 3 years ago. You can imagine the funny look I got when I
told Don what I wanted. Before that, he'd always had people get
smaller speakers, and put them in the dashboard. Which is where I put
the tweeters. When I came to pick the car up, he said that the
speaker set up had worked out really well. The picture doesn't really
do the boxes total justice though. When getting in and out of the
car, people don't notice them, so they don't look quite as out of
place as they do in the photo I took. I just got that angle so you
could see the entire assembly.

Since that time, DMC GG now sells preformed pods, which you can see
here:
http://deloreancarshow.com/dcs-2002/2002-vendors/w-101-0145_IMG.jpg

I haven't talked to anyone who's gotten these installed, so I'm not
sure of how these new ones are installed (mine are anchored with
screwes that go thru the carpet, and into the underbody), nor how far
back they sit. My are right there next to the door sill so the noise
isn't lost in the footwells. I also don't know if they will allow
clearance for the trunk release cable. For me, they were right in the
way, and so the latch handle had to be loosened, the cable slacked a
little, and the pivot bolt double nutted to allow it to swing out for
clearance. If you don't double nut the end, the handle can come
loose, and flop off the pivot bolt. You drive, it flops around,
hanging on the cable, and will break from the stress. That, and they
can sometimes compete with road noise thru the floor pan has been the
only downside to the speakers.

I don't know if Curtis is on the list, or if any one has sat in his
car with the doors closed, and the sound system on. But he has a
really nice set of speakers located on the center console, next to
the floor. I'm really interested in how these sound, and if the
quality is good. That way, I could install an amp, and have the extra
speakers there to balance the load of the current speakers, so they
don't have to work as hard.
http://deloreancarshow.com/dcs-2002/2002-02am/w-100-0037_IMG.jpg

-Robert
vin 6585 "X"