Re: Thoughts on BTTF Conversions???

Gary,

Since you have purchased the car, you can do with it whatever you
wish, but since you are asking for opinions and/or assessments to
determine if it is the right thing to do with a mid-level Delorean
I will offer my perspective. NO, I would recommend against it, if
it is a permanent install. If you make the install non-evasive
(removable and not screwed into the SS panels), then GO FOR IT.

I have seen many BTTF conversions and from my perspective, one of
the best "fan built" examples has to be Bob Brandy's resurrection
of a salvage yard Delorean into the 97 Delorean Time Machine.
More details at: http://www.entermyworld.com/wdmorg/97pics.html
If you want a BTTF conversion that nearly the entire Delorean will
ralley behind, start with a salvage car for your BTTF conversion.
Even die-hard purists who scold anyone for modifying a Delorean
appreciate what Bob has done with a much less than perfect car.

Nearly all of my custom Delorean projects have been built from
far less than perfect cars and made into unique, custom Deloreans.
The one exception is my High HP Canadian D which is in great shape
but had already had the engine swap done prior to my purchase.
I even considered building a BTTF conversion from a salvage car,
but decided against it when I had the opportunity to buy a full
size fiberglass BTTF prop car (that was in near salvage condition)
This is what I am starting with for my BTTF conversion vehicle.

More details and photos at: www.DeloreanMotorCars.com

If you do decide to build a BTTF conversion from a "good" Delorean,
make sure to "do it right". There are some "good" reasons to use
a "good" Delorean for BTTF conversion, but I think the best reason
is if you plan to drive it on a regular basis or on long trips.
But if you must use a "good" Delorean for BTTF conversion, please
consider replacing good body panels with less than perfect ones.
Most people that will admire the car could care less if you have
repaired SS panels vs. perfect SS panels, with a perfect fit.

Either way, good luck with your BTTF conversion quest.

Later,
Rich W.