Re: [DML] Removeable body panels

John,

I have heard this story starting with the Bricklin, then the Delorean and then the Fiero.

For the D, this would have been easy to design in for the front fenders, hood and rear panels (even though it wasn't.) The tough problem has always been the doors. Not an easy design there.

An easily removable cosmetic panel would have added weight to the door even if only a small amount. The doors were heavy enough. The lifting mechanism, though well engineered, pushed the design to the limits. AKA door lifting problems in the winter vs. summer.

The door skin on the D is an integral part of the door strength. A secondary color skin and attaching hardware would have been necessary.

However, this closest to this design concept was the 63 Buick Rivera. The door skins screwed onto the door and could be easily changed. This was before the need for stronger doors to meet side impact crash standards.

Bob