Re: [DML] Mechanically Challenged

Hi Matthew

I'm personally a "have a go, Joe". This comes from my background in building robots,
where you have to think "this is what I want to do, now how the hell can I do it?" and at
some point you just have to try. With the DeLorean, if I need to, say, do the exhaust
manifold gaskets - it's just a case of diving in, and start undoing stuff till you get to
where you want to be. You might balls it up and end up spending many weekends putting
right what you've got wrong*, but this has two very useful side effects: 1) You
accumulate tools at a geometric rate and 2) you learn a hell of a lot and hopefully 3)
have a lot of fun and get a lot of satisfaction doing it.

Back to basics: The DeLorean is what I like to call a "LEGO car". It all just bolts
together and there's really very little that isn't obvious just by looking at it.

You think you're mechanically challenged? Well, if you'd like that to change, go out and
buy yourself a good socket and spanner set, a good set of screwdrivers and maybe a hammer
or two :-) Consumables like penetrating oil, silicone spray, and brake cleaner... and
just start playing.

All that said, for a 20 year old car, the DeLorean is remarkably reliable. For every hour
spent in the workshop, expect at least 20 trouble-free driving (depending ont he car of
course!). And there are very few problems that will cause a break-down.

Oh, and the DeLorean sufferes from electrical problems in common with most British cars
of that age.

* drilled into a water way on one head and ended up sourcing a new head and replacing it,
and the water pump, and spark plugs etc etc etc. Goes very well now!

Martin