A/C Panel (and other electrical problems)

A/C Panel (and other electrical problems)

Couple of electrical problems in the dash:

- A/C panel illuminated whenever car is on (vs tied to headlight
circuit). Generates untold heat wear.
- Headlight switch is unfused, yet contains a load device (internal
bulb). Nearly set my car on fire with that one...
- Full side & tail light amperage passes through headlight switch
(headlights are relay'd).
- Internal bulbs in headlight and hazard switches generate more heat
than switch can ultimately stand (if headlight switch melts and
grounds itself, no protection)

I rewired my whole headlight circuit as follows:

- A/C panel tied to dash switch (via relay below. Note I had to add an
inline 2.5 amp fuse).
- Switch now fused twice (inline 1 amp fuses) in & out, just to be safe.
- Side & tail lights moved to a new relay (just what our cars need --
another relay back there). Total amperage through switch now: 320
milliamps.
- INTERNAL BULBS THROWN AWAY (may substitute LED's some day...)

Food for thought from #5939.

Bill Robertson