Re: [DML] Go Getting My DMC

I'm 20 and have plans for a delorean. Heck, if things work out, I may have one this year. However, saving up is key. In my opinion, the other part is to have a car you can depend on. I purchased a 1998 Hyundai Accent for $3k. It is manual (so I can get use to that) and it is dependable. I am not going to drop $16k on a Delorean just to have it sit in the driveway when it breaks and have no way to go to work to earn the money needed to fix it. Delorean's are great, but nor should it be your only car as there are times that it should be sent off to PJ Gradys or DMC Houston for a checkup.

My brother almost purchased a delorean recently. He would have taken out a loan for $12k for it. His idea was to buy it, park it in a garage he'd rent (as we closed the garage in years ago on the house for more room inside) and never drive it as he wouldnt be able to afford repairs until after he paid the loan off. As of right now, I think i talked him out of it but am not totally sure.

They are great cars, but nor should you go into debt just to get one. It is actually better to put away what you can and get it when you can afford it, otherwise you risk digging yourself deeper into debt just to keep it running and not have another car around to use when you can really need it. I know how hard it is to wait, I've been waiting and I didnt have allowance to save but I'm saving money from my job now.

Samuel

treehouse2000us wrote:

Thanks you guys, you really know how to put a guy down! As for waiting, is 10 years not enough? I could certainly see it if I discovered the car 1 or 2 years ago, and had about 500 or 1000 downpayment, but I have saved every dime I possibly could since I was 8 years old. Still, $8300 is pretty pitiful for all that time, cant blame me, blame my parents allowances when I was younger! Haha.

I will reconsider purchasing the DeLorean at a later date, but the urge is really there to get something this year that I can drive, I like the comment about driving the Sunstar model! Thanks all of you who have replied on the list, and to those who emailed me in person, you will/already have a reply shortly, I'm backed up 2 days on the list due to working more than I should.

Another question,

Should I get the DeLorean with as little debt as possible, use the 8000 I have and get a loan for about 6-8 k and go with monthly payments with risk of repo (haha, I pray not)

Or get a full loan of about 15,500, keep the cash on hand for emegency use incase I cant pay the payments for a month or two (say I loose my job) or other reasons.

Thanks, and please live that elusive dream guys (and gals),

Tom Porter Vin: Summer 2003 ?
treehouse2000us@xxxx

[Moderator snip]