Mysterious vacuum leak revealed... the hard way.

Mysterious vacuum leak revealed... the hard way.

As some of you know, I was fighting a problem with a vacuum leak that I
couldn't find. I've gone without my car for a while because I was an idiot
and broke something important, but now that I'm back on the road I found my
problem.

Recently it had begun hissing at me from the front end, but I couldn't get
it to do it when I got out to look. I went like this for a few days until
on my way to work I lost the power assist for the brakes. As I'm sure some
of you know, she doesn't like to stop very well without it. Fortunately
there was nobody in front of me. After feeling around on the hose to locate
the hole, I took off the wheel to inspect it. It seems that the vacuum line
had worked it's way in between the solid coolant pipe and the steering
U-joint. The bolt on the joint had chewed it's way through the line as I
steered. Has this happened to anyone else? I can easily see how it can
occur so I secured the hose back with a wire tie.

That hose wasn't easy to replace. Did the British government have some kind
of Leprechaun work program and hire them at the factory? I just couldn't
get my hands in there at all. Oh well, at least it was a cheap fix and my
car is idling smoother.

Payne
Proud and loving owner of #2975 (DeMara the DeLorean)