Re: Back on the Road

Welcome to the group. You don't have to actually have to remove the
gas tank from the car. I would suggest cleaning out the old fuel and
whatever else you find inside the tank. Replace any rotten rubber.
Check the oil and coolant and then manually rotate the crankshaft a
couple of times. Now with a fresh battery try starting it. After you
get it running and up to temperature drain and replace all of the
fluids including brake, clutch, transmission, windshield washer
fluids. Now replace all of the filters, air, fuel, and oil. If it is
running good you could stop here for a while but you should probably
do a complete service on the cooling system and a tune-up. Grease the
car and inspect the udercarriage. Replace the tires if questionable.
Spend many hours cleaning and detailing. Spend many more and $$$
fixing all of the little things that don't work right and MAYBE you're
done! If the clutch was leaking just replace the master and slave
cylinders and upgrade to the braided line if it hasn't been done yet.
David Teitelbaum
vin 10757

--- In dmcnews@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Randy Bell" <randybell@xxxx> wrote:
> I bought my Delorean new in 1981, but I am fairly new to the group.
It only has 12.5K miles on it and I have had it garage stored (without
being able to start it) since 1986. I had parked it with gas in the
tank and hadn't driven it in some time. Apparently the gas had set up
and it wouldn't fire. This had happen once before, but I had the
original Dealer work on it the 1st time. I want to get it running and
back on the road. I know I need to pull the tank, fuel Line, ect...
but should I pull the moter and look at replacing gaskets. I know for
sure that the clutch cylinder was leaking fluid before. Where should I
start?