Re: [DML] Engine Cleaning and fuel tank restoration help

Re: [DML] Engine Cleaning and fuel tank restoration help

James, See below.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

I just used some intake man. cleaner on the fuel distrib. ( Be careful on
fuel cleaner on the fuel distributor or inside it. There are o rings that
could swell and it would have to be rebuilt.)

Throttle body/plate/air meter thingy. and on the air horn and intake manifold
itself.
( Naturally the best way its to take it off and clean it out with any strong
cleaner. I use Berrymans B12. You can also use Acetone. Be careful, it's
highly flammable.)

I have a few bits of advice to ask of the member who have done such
things before:
1. How can I better clean the inside of the intake manifold.( See above)

2. How can clean the head without getting all that
dirt/creatures/anti-freeze in the intake ports.
( Wet Vac vacuum Cleaner, industrial grade and block off the ports with a rag
or something like that.. Clean and vacuum at the same time)

3. How can I clean the valves/valve stems (they are NASTY) without
all that crap going down further into the ports/cylinders - or will
it hurt the engine THAT much to have all the crap go into the ports
(obviously some of the valves are closed-- but the ones that are
open would get a nasty dose of black nasty stuff)
( Without taking the heads off, I use a product called Resilone that will
desolve the black stuff after a while. )

4. On the other side of the car - I just fueled up the tank...
(stupid me) and now I need it empty to clean it out. I can work
inside the tank fine with the gas there (replacing baffle/hoses with
Herv's new metal baffle)... but it is filled with disintegrated hose
bits, and rusty residue stuff. How the hell can drain the tank
efficently without removing it (not really D specific - just looking
for ideas).
I just finished a car that was sitting for about 3 years and needless to say
it wasn't to bad. Get the gas out of the tank by siphon it and clean up the
tanks before you put in the new parts or the pick up filter will clog up
faster. I usually take everything out of the tank and clean it out with a rag
with cleaner on it. You may want to work with nitril gloves and in a well
ventilated area.
Call if I can help.
John Hervey
www.specialTauto.com

As ever, I'd appreciate any advice you veterans (not that all the
DML are veterans :P) have!
-James LaLonde 4009 (new vin sign off...)